About a week ago, I checked the traditional mead to see how far the process to completion is.
From its colour, texture and taste, I can assume that it will be ready in two months time. It will have to be racked of off the yeast residue again and then prepared to be bottled. The addition of honey from last month’s racking did the trick, the strong presence of Orange in the taste was overcame by the honey and now it is well balanced, with a slight dominant taste of honey, as I intended.
However, I did notice that there was still a strong scent of Orange emanating from the carboys. So to overcome this, I added 2 cinnamon sticks in each carboy which hopefully will help in removing the scent. Since only two cinnamon sticks were added, the taste won’t be influenced that much by them.
In a month’s time, I will check the mead again, and if all goes to plan, I’ll rack it again to prepare it for bottling.